The number one question we get from Homeowners about insurance is “What is covered?” The answer is a bit surprising – however, what is more surprising are what Homeowners think. Some believe the Association only covers the building exterior, with their own HO-6 insurance covering the interior while others believe the Association covers everything, including personal property, and there is no need to carry their own insurance. The answer lies somewhere in between.

What is Covered?

Below is a list of items referred to in Section 515B.3-13(b) of the Act that is insured by the Association:

  • Ceiling or wall finishing materials
  • Floor coverings
  • Cabinetry
  • Finished millwork
  • Electrical or plumbing fixtures serving a single unit
  • Built-in appliances
  • Improvements and betterments

These items are not insured by the Association:

  • Personal property, such as window coverings, furniture, clothes, small appliances, dishes, etc.